Hot trends in fired clay brick show preferences for whites, greys and lighter colors, thin brick, rustic/weathered textures, and larger brick sizes.
Brick Industry Association (BIA) member manufacturers around the country report that residential and commercial trends include whites, light greys, ivories, rough-hewn textures, glazed brick, and larger brick sizes.
“As an abundant natural resource made in America, brick options continue to evolve for virtually endless aesthetic flexibility,” said Ray Leonhard, BIA’s president and CEO.
“Our whites, ivories, and light greys are being requested more and more, either as a full project or to complement a darker, more traditional brick on a project,” said Dawn Henning, director of marketing and retail sales, General Shale. “Secondly, thin brick is probably the biggest trend that is catching on everywhere. I get requests from all over the world for our thin brick.”
In addition to greys and creamy neutrals as a base color, Triangle Brick adds modern farmhouses and bungalows pairing brick with subtle exterior tones. Larger brick sizes also are trending, according to Stephanie Kennedy, marketing manager at Redland Brick Inc., The Belden Brick Company. The company’s Cushwa plant (Williamsport, Md.) now offers Molded Roman face brick with longer and more linear dimensions than those of standard modern brick.
Acme Brick Company echoes trending colors, textures and sizes. “We are still seeing a trend to lighter colors or white-washed looking brick,” said John Brewer, Acme’s Central Texas regional sales manager. “Residentially, King Size brick is still the largest in demand,” he said. “Everyone wants a very rustic, beat-up finish.”
The Belden Brick Company reports that thin brick and glazed brick also continue to rise, along with clay pavers in diverse sizes. “Thin brick continues to sell,” said Mark Britko, Belden’s manager, strategic markets, whose company has expanded its glazed brick offerings and capabilities. Trends also include clay paver patterns using other sizes with the normal 4 X 8s.
Recent residential trends also include kitchens, dining rooms and exposed brick walls adjacent to sleek, industrial interior finishes. For more information, see the BIA’s trends video below.
- 57The country’s most visionary projects incorporating fired-clay brick have earned 2016 Brick in Architecture Awards from the Brick Industry Association (BIA). Judged by a jury of peers, 32 Best in Class, Gold, Silver, and Bronze winners in 17 states and Canada were awarded in seven categories: Commercial, Educational (Higher Education),…
- 52Acme Brick Company’s Texas showrooms now offer the full line of architectural brick products from the Belden Brick Company of Canton, Ohio.
- 52Nine Best in Class winners lead the 2015 Brick in Architecture Awards, eclipsing formidable competition with more than 115 entries.
- 49For the 12th consecutive year, Acme Brick Company’s residential brick products carry the famous Good Housekeeping Seal.
- 48Final Deadline is April 30 The Brick Industry Association (BIA) has opened its call for entries for the 2017 Brick in Architecture Awards, the country’s premiere architectural design competition featuring clay brick. BIA’s annual awards honor outstanding, innovative, and sustainable architecture in 10 categories that incorporate clay brick products as…