The country’s most visionary projects incorporating fired-clay brick have earned 2016 Brick in Architecture Awards from the Brick Industry Association (BIA).
Judged by a jury of peers, 32 Best in Class, Gold, Silver, and Bronze winners in 17 states and Canada were awarded in seven categories: Commercial, Educational (Higher Education), Educational (K-12), Healthcare, Municipal/Government, Residential (Multifamily), and Residential (Single Family).
“These winners demonstrate the best of brick’s aesthetic flexibility, and as a material made from abundant natural resources, it’s a perfect strategy in sustainable design,” said Ray Leonhard, BIA’s president and CEO.
The seven 2016 Best in Class winners include:
Old Parkland Campus – Dallas, TX
Architect: Beck Architecture, LLC
Builder: The Beck Group
Mason Contractor: DMG Masonry
Photographer: Casey Dunn
EDUCATIONAL (Higher Education)
Prairie View A&M Agriculture and Business – Prairie View, TX
Architect: Overland Partners
Builder: Linbeck Construction Corp.
Manufacturer: Acme Brick Company
Distributor: Upchurch Kimbrough Company
Mason Contractor: Camarata Masonry Systems
Photographer: Richard Payne FAIA
Intermediate School 230Q Annex – Queens, NY
Architect: John Ciardullo Associates, P.C.
Builder: Citnalta Construction Corp.
Manufacturer: Watsontown Brick Manufacturer
Manufacturer: Redland Brick Inc.
Distributor: Belden Tri-State Building Materials
Mason Contractor: Eurotech Construction
Photographer: Anna-Marie Kellen
Baylor Surgical Hospital at Fort Worth – Fort Worth, TX
Architect: Page Southerland Page, Inc.
Builder: Hill & Wilkinson
Distributor: Acme Brick Company
Mason Contractor: ROC Construction, Inc.
Photographer: Peter Calvin
Millwood Fire Station – Millwood, NY
Architect: Ohlhausen DuBois Architects
Landscape Architect: IQ Landscape Architects, PC
Builder: Calgi Construction
Mason Contractor: Bella Management Group
Photographer: Mark DuBois
RESIDENTIAL – MULTIFAMILY
46-09 Eleventh St. – Long Island City, NY
Architect: GF55 Partners
Manufacturer: Endicott Clay Products Company
Mason Contractor: MC&O Contracting
Photographer: Timothy Hutto
RESIDENTIAL – SINGLE FAMILY
New Georgian Revival Home – Greenwich, CT
Architect: Charles Hilton Architects
Landscape Architect: Highland Design Gardens
Builder: Hobbs, Inc.
Manufacturer: Glen-Gery Corporation
Mason Contractor: Nick and Gino Vona, LLC
Photographer: Robert Benson Photography
Photographer: Nicholas Rotondi Photography
The complete list of winners, a brief video trailer, and a photo gallery of all winning projects are available on BIA’s website.
This year’s judges include Steve Berg, BWBR; Fiske Crowell, Sasaki Associates; Kristin Hawkins, Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects; David Meleca, David B. Meleca Architects, LLC; Clint Rigsby, SeamonWhiteside and Fernando Villa, Magnusson Architecture and Planning, PC.
- 92Nine Best in Class winners lead the 2015 Brick in Architecture Awards, eclipsing formidable competition with more than 115 entries.
- 85Final Deadline is April 30 The Brick Industry Association (BIA) has opened its call for entries for the 2017 Brick in Architecture Awards, the country’s premiere architectural design competition featuring clay brick. BIA’s annual awards honor outstanding, innovative, and sustainable architecture in 10 categories that incorporate clay brick products as…
- 83The Brick Industry Association (BIA) invites entries for its 2015 Brick in Architecture Awards now through Apr. 30, 2015.
- 78With new categories this year, including Renovation/Restoration, the 2013 Brick in Architecture Awards span almost half the country in 21 states, including green building practices that have earned LEED ratings.
- 76The Brick Industry Association (BIA) has announced the 2007 winners of its annual Brick in Architecture Awards.