On Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014, the Masonry Advisory Council (MAC) will host a Continuing Education Breakfast in Oak Brook, Ill., where attendees can earn 2.5 AIA Credits. The event is sponsored by Brick Distributors of Illinois and the Illinois Concrete Products Association.
Presentations will consist of a masonry veneer seminar titled, “Detailing Masonry Veneers to Avoid Water Penetration and Cracks,” as well as a course titled, “Internally Braced Masonry Walls.” In the veneer course, attendees will: learn to design a drainage wall system, learn what causes movement, how much movement to expect, how to control movement, and where to place movement joints. In the walls course, contractors, engineers and architects will all gain from this presentation about the benefits of reinforcement in masonry walls used to brace against wind loads for partially constructed walls.
Invited speakers are:
- Ron Hunsicker, who has given more than 1,750 presentations during his career and submitted hundreds of commercial, industrial, educational, and residential site investigations as well as formal reports that assessed problems, established causes, and suggested remedial actions.
- Todd Dailey, who is a registered professional engineer in Michigan and Ohio, and has more than 30 years’ experience in structural engineering and building design.
Maggiano’s, 240 Oak Brook Center, Oak Brook, IL 60523
$25 (pre-register by Aug. 7); $35 at the door. For more information, visit MAC’s website.
- 57The International Masonry Institute (IMI), the Masonry Contractors of New Jersey, and the Administrative District Council of New Jersey are hosting a "Designing with Structural Masonry" seminar.
- 48The American Concrete Institute is hosting a one-day seminar is for engineers, architects, specifiers, public agencies, and anyone else involved in the designing and specifying of masonry structures.
- 44More and more communities are adopting the mixed material veneer look. Manufactured stone veneers add speed and economy to the building process, but also can dress up buildings more effectively than painted block with little effort. Features • What Is A Rainscreen Wall? • Understanding Interdependencies Is The Key To…
- 41The University of Wisconsin-Madison is offering a professional development course in May 2014 titled "Masonry: Learn to Do It Right."
- 41The American Concrete Institute has recently approved The Masonry Society as a National Sponsoring Group for its new Masonry Testing (Field and Laboratory) Certification Program.